banshiki

From: Phil James (sparklingbeatnik@msn.com)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 06:53:28 PST

------=_NextPart_000_0044_01C17CA1.24997460
        charset="iso-8859-1"

One of the great things about the shakuhachi community is that is IS a =
community, what the Buddhists call a sangha-- a group of people united =
not by a belief system by by a practice, a discipline, a way of engaging =
with the world. We have our differences, such as those that flared up in =
the aftermath of 9-11, but they seem trivial compared with the =
solidarity of this community, in which people at all levels and from all =
lineages mingle quite freely and respect each other quite deeply.

Bill Atwood was a great believer in sangha. He lived for sangha, and his =
sangha was large. It included the American Zen community, the shakuhachi =
world, and later the Tenrikyo people. It also included the church of =
Charlie Parker and John Coltrane, and the brother and sisterhood of =
latterday hipsters who look back quizically at a utopia that should have =
been. Not that he regretted the state of the world--he had great =
compassion for its fuckedupness and found it endlessly amusing. Anyone =
who was lucky enough to receive his rather bizarre koan-like emails =
understood right away what it means to mix compassion with humor.

It's wonderful that people are playing Banshiki for Bill's memorial. It =
was one of his favorite pieces, right up there with "Take the A Train" =
and "Round Midnight." He had even played Banshiki at Auschwitz when on a =
pilgrimage there with his Zen teacher Bernie Glassman.

I am an agnostic and skeptic, therefore usually not much interested in =
long distance spiritual communion. But this time I'll be playing =
Banshiki along with the NY crew on the 15th. I take this as Bill's =
reminder that we ARE a sangha, all of us. If you don't know Banshiki, I =
would urge you to play anything you like on the 15th from 2 to 3 Eastern =
time, anything from otsu RO to "Giant Steps." Bill would have liked the =
sound, and the idea, of everyone playing something different anyway.

------=_NextPart_000_0044_01C17CA1.24997460
        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>One of the great things about the shakuhachi =
community is that=20
is IS a community, what the Buddhists call a sangha-- a group of people =
united=20
not by a belief system by by a practice, a discipline, a way of engaging =
with=20
the world. We have our differences, such as those that flared up in the=20
aftermath of 9-11, but they seem trivial compared with the solidarity of =
this=20
community, in which people at all levels and from all lineages mingle =
quite=20
freely and respect each other quite deeply.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Bill Atwood was a great believer in sangha. He lived =
for=20
sangha, and his sangha was large. It included the American Zen =
community, the=20
shakuhachi world, and later the Tenrikyo people. It also included the =
church of=20
Charlie Parker and John Coltrane, and the brother and sisterhood of =
latterday=20
hipsters who look back quizically at a utopia that should have =
been.&nbsp; Not=20
that he regretted the state of the world--he had great compassion for =
its=20
fuckedupness and found it endlessly amusing. Anyone who was lucky enough =
to=20
receive his rather bizarre koan-like emails understood right away what =
it means=20
to mix compassion with humor.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>It's wonderful that people are playing Banshiki for =
Bill's=20
memorial. It was one of his favorite pieces, right up there with "Take =
the A=20
Train" and "Round Midnight." He had even played Banshiki at Auschwitz =
when on a=20
pilgrimage there with his Zen teacher Bernie Glassman.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I am an agnostic and skeptic, therefore usually not =
much=20
interested in long distance spiritual communion. But this time I'll be =
playing=20
Banshiki along with the NY crew on the 15th. I take this as Bill's =
reminder that=20
we ARE a sangha, all of us. If you don't know Banshiki, I would urge you =
to play=20
anything you like on the 15th from 2 to 3 Eastern time, anything from =
otsu RO to=20
"Giant Steps." Bill would have liked the sound, and the idea, of =
everyone=20
playing something different anyway.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0044_01C17CA1.24997460--