Re: temperature

From: Stav Tapuch (tapuch@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 21:21:19 PST

Well, first of all, like the humble Mr. Donehue, I also manage to sound
generally miserable no matter what the temperature- but cold days leave me
sounding particularly off.

>From all of the responses, and other conversations I have had with
shakuhachi musicians on this issue, I have realized that it is a bit more
complex than what one might suspect.

There are actually three variables relating to temperature- the temperature
of the flute itself, the temperature of the room, and the temperature of the
player's breath.

I have noticed that it is much easier to consistently high high octaves
after I have had a hot shower, or exercied - when my body temperature, and
probably my breath temperature, is elevated. It wouldn't surprise me if
experienced players, who have no difficulty consistently hitting high
octaves, would not notice this phenomenon. I have been told that
traditional shakuhachi schools in japan keep their students supping hot tea
when they themselves are not blowing zen. I also know that in Japan this is
not unusual - everyone is drinking tea all of the time anyway - but drinking
the tea could also in this instance serve the utilitarian purpose of heating
the breath.

As far as the temperature of the flute is concerned - and the temperature in
the room - there seems to be conflicting opinions, though most say a warmer
flute sounds better. But may be this is just due to the musicians lips and
lungs heating up?