Re: Temperature

From: Dave Stevenson (dave.stevenson@durham.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 05:08:21 PST

beginners 2cents:
Temperature and humidty are major factors in the pitch and quality of sound
produced, along with mood, acoustics of room/trees , full/empty stomach, cold/flu,
body position etc. but why should we judge the sound to be "better"? Closer to the
sound produced by our teachers?

I was given a tape of practice pieces by my teacher and struggled to even get
close to the pitch on the tape. Maybe after years of practice I could "kari" it
but I doubted it. Only after many weeks did he mention that the pieces were
recorded on a hot day and not to worry too much about it. Still makes me smile
thinking about how frustrated and hung up I became trying to replicate something
instead of just blowing , listening and feeling the differences in the sounds that
can be made in different circumstances.