Re: Teachers

From: supakit bhuphaibool (icarus927@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 20:52:28 PST

Hi Stav,

There is absolutely no SUBSTITUTE for a GOOD teacher.

I've been playing for a year and I do not have regular access to a teacher.
I used to question the value of a teacher as you do now until I started
taking lessons. I quickly realized that left to one's own devices, one will
do whatever it takes to mimic the sounds of a CD and assume that the music
notation has everything you need to play music.

My lessons with the several teachers I've had the fortunate opportunity to
study with showed me that I would be a crippled mess without their guidance.
By "crippled", I mean that I would have never corrected a host of bad habits
I developed in the quest for a good sound. The earlier you find a teacher,
the better off you'll be in the long run. Although I'm only a beginner, I'm
very satisfied with my first year's progress. If it was not for my lessons,
I suspect that it would have taken up to three years to reach where I am now
(and I'd have the bad habits that I wasn't made aware of).

Several teachers? (I know, not quite traditional - and it has its pros &
cons)
I can really only claim 2 as regular teachers (one of which I have to fly
700 miles to see). Because of my lack of access to regular one-on-one
sessions, I've had to go to great lengths to obtain any instruction.
I'm mentioning this to underscore how important I see personal instruction
is to your development.

You may want to consider attending the Shakuhachi Camp this summer to
experience a spectrum of great teachers. (It'll be my first time attending)

I hope this helps,

Duke.