Re: hmm..teachers...

From: Zachary Braverman (zachary@kotodama.net)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 22:53:40 PST

This issue hasn't been discussed here, but it has been at length on several
martial arts lists I was a part of when I actively studied martial arts.

Rather than give you a list of the traits I think a good teacher would have,
I'll give you the best piece of advice that came off the martial arts lists,
because I think the issue of a beginner trying to identify a good teacher in
both disciplines is essentially the same.

Rather than trying out teachers blindly, ask someone who is more experienced
than you and whom you trust (by whatever criteria) what their opinion is of
a prospective teacher. If you live in an area where there in only 1 teacher
anyway, so you have no choice, then the question doesn't matter very much,
does it?

This list is a very good place to start. Where do you live, and what are
your interests in the instrument (sankyoku, honkyoku, new music, etc.)?

Best,

Zachary Braverman