Re: teachers

From: jeremy bornstein (uke@jeremy.org)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 12:34:43 PST

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 12:00:52PM -0800, Peter wrote:
> If you can, go to the summer camp in Boulder...

I was recently in Boulder for about a week, and could barely blow a
note to save my life. (No sarcastic comments from the gallery
please!) I was at two elevations there--Boulder proper, about 5000
feet above sea level, and where my parents live at around 7500. In
both of them I was even more wheezy and whiny than usual. It was as
if my embouchure had completely disintegrated; practice was rather
frustrating.

When I returned to San Francisco it seemed all of a sudden as if my
tone was even better than it had been before I left. My fantasy is
that it actually did get better, but my judgement is not impartial.

It seems as if this difficulty could have been an effect of the
altitude-based difference in air pressure, or it could have been a
coincidence with the standard course of tone development. Do people
generally have trouble getting their usual sound when they go to the
Boulder camp?

-j

--
            jeremy bornstein <leftfordead@stickyandconfused.com>