air density

From: Peter (shakahuna@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 17:01:02 PST

I posted a few weeks ago about differences I've noticed in the sound
quality due to both altitude and humidity--the higher and drier the
thinner and more reedy the sound is what I've found.

I read the Japan Times article about Shimabara Hanzan, and noticed that
either there was a grammatical mistake in the line "received his
school's highest honor of 'Tozan ryu'..." i.e. the writer meant the
highest honor in the Tozan-ryu, or else the writer thought that
Tozan-ryu was an honor. I'm just being nitpicky since I've been
disappointed many times during 4 years in Japan by the lack of interest
in and knowledge of traditional music. If I had 130 yen for every time
someone has laughed when I told them I play shakuhachi (yes I know why
that is), or wanted to photograph me playing, but walked away when I
suggested they listen rather than just take a snap (well, maybe that
says something about my playing), or told me they've never heard
shakuhachi music, or...well I'd have a complete set of high-end flutes
in 1.3 to 3.1. Okay, end of rant.

Peter