Re: air density

From: Zachary Braverman (zachary@kotodama.net)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 00:06:30 PST

On 02.1.11 4:17 PM, "Stav Tapuch" <tapuch@hotmail.com> wrote:

> From this last letter I understand that it is a tired topic to talk about
> why shakuhachi music is such a neglected art in Japan - but I, as a
> newcomer, would be very interested in hearing why this is so.
>
> Is it merely because the western, modern flute is just more efficient at
> making music, or is the shakuhachi just a victim in a greater cultural war?

Stan, here are some very general comments off the top of my head:

The western flute and the Japanese flute have very different qualities - one
is not better than the other. For example, the western flute is better at
playing intricate patterns of notes, while the shakuhachi is better at
creating variations in sound color.

And, to say that the shakuhachi is the victim of a cultural war is
misleading, because modern Japanese culture has tossed aside many of its
traditions without urging from anyone.

To answer the question, you really have to study Japanese history. Start
with 1868, when Japan was unceremoniously introduced to the rest of the
world and the modern age.

Also, remember that shakuhachi music has never been pop music in this
country, so its not as though it fell from mass popularity or anything!

Best,

ZB

Zachary Braverman
Japanese to English Translation