shakuhachi and improvisation

From: Kiku Day (kikuescargot@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 12:26:43 PST

Hi Everybody.

This is the first time I write to the list here. I have enjoyed the
discussions for a while in the hidden.
I have learned hocchiku from Okuda Atsuya sensei in Tokyo for 10
years, going to Japan 3 to 5 month a year for intensive lessons every
year.
At the moment I'm studying ethnomusicology at School of Oriental and
African Studies or SOAS for short in London. I am researching into
shauhachi and improvisation. So, I thought of asking you guys your
opinions of how big an aspect of improvisation do you think there is
when you play koten hokyoku? How important is it for you in your
general shakuhachi palying?
Many scholars say there is no improvisation in traditional shakuhachi
music. Do you agree?
Let me know. Thanks!
Kiku