Re: tradition

From: Herb Rodriguez (Herb.Rodriguez@colorado.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 13:49:37 PST

At 1/11/02 12:50 PM, Stav Tapuch wrote:

> Why, why why would people listen to techno in a world that has
>produced Bach? And when I say techno, you can throw in rap, hip-hop
>and 98% of its other twisted, ill-begotten kin.

Why would people watch a disgustingly violent game like football on
TV instead of playing it themselves with friends and family, or
getting out and doing good exercise, like hiking in the woods?
Why would people watch sports on TV instead of developing themselves
with participation in something healthy and character building the
Martial Arts?
Why would people do a hard, and potentially damaging style, like
Karate instead of a more flowing Chinese style?
Why would people do a harder Chinese style instead of Aikido?
Why would people put up with the constant slamming and getting up of
Aikido instead of doing Tai Chi?
Why would people be bother with learning a Tai Chi *form* instead of
going to the root and do Qi Gung?

Why would.........? It's all a matter of taste, preference and
energy. (Albeit, there is no accounting for taste!)

I Love Bach, but I can't clean my house to it. I enjoy the music to
much to ruin it by house cleaning.
I can clean my house to Melissa Ethridge, but I can't meditate to
her. I enjoy her music yet somehow it helps me past the pain of house
cleaning.
I love Tai Chi, but when I'm so stressed out that I want to strangle
someone, sometimes I need a more vigorous form of energy dissipation
before I can return to being soft.
I hate bad music (eg most of the ones you mentioned above) but when a
good techno one comes along I can clean house to it or increase my
exercise tempo to it.

Its all about the use, change, (and maybe misuse) of energy in the
mind/body. And younger people seem to thrive on the driving pulse to
move, change, modify, become addicted to, etc. the energy. Maybe they
have too much energy to burn, or its an alternate form of a "high" to
keep their energy up so they don't get bored.

While I also love Bach and can't stand most of the music you mention
above that you despise, I can understand the "why" usage of it. I
would simple choose -different types- of music to make the -same-
changes that other people use that "crappy" music for.

But you already knew that! I was just joining you in the pleasure of
ranting. ;-D

Thank you for briefly opening "the Rant"

Herb