RE: tradition

From: Bud (bud@rajah.com)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 10:36:04 PST

You make a lot of very good points here...

I would like to add that many of the types of music I like are based on my
conditioned responses and my personal odyssey:
i.e.: classical western music (grew up in Cleveland around the Cleveland
Symphony),
bluegrass (went to college in Southern Ohio in the foothills of Appalachia),
R&B and later hip-hop (hung out with a gang of guys from Harlem and
Westchester, lived in the Fillmore in San Francisco)
African music (I served in the Peace Corps there)
etc. etc. etc.

But shakuhachi music seems to fall in a separate category in that it
actually seems to *deprogram* and move me beyond my *conditioned*
existence... it thereby falls into the category of "healing" or meditative
music... it opens my pure awareness, moves me beyond "the vicious cycles of
samsara." It's long moments of silence, lack of predictable cadence,
surprising twist and turns always surprise and "cut through" the more
predictable patterns of consciousness and redirect me towards "no eyes, no
ears, no nose... no consciousness....no object of consciousness..."

The other types serve a useful purpose as well, they awaken different
chakras, open different avenues of exploration.

Brett "Bud" Breitwieser (bud@rajah.com)
check out my zen site at http://rajah.com
or my tech support site at http://rajah.net
walking, greens, and my recumbent trike at http://rajah.ws