Re: tradition

From: Karl Young (kyoung@slac.stanford.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 14:28:58 PST

Nelson,

Wow, what a soliloquy; that was great ! Your discussion of syntactical
awareness was particularly fascinating to me as I spent more years than
I care to think about coughing up a thesis attempting to use ideas
embedded in Chomsky's hierarchy of grammars to try and produce automated
procedures for deducing the syntax from data streams (e.g. the
"authenticity" behind a gamma ray burst time series).

Now for my specialty (the picking of trivial nits); re. your muon mass
example I'd say the Higgs mechanism is ever so slightly more inspired
than blind guessing.

So to paraphrase an old Zen master, lets get our eyes of that damn
finger,

> Stav,
>
> > One note - the word "authentic" in this context is a very sloppy term.
> > Perhaps John Walker and myself mean genuine, heartfelt, original, precious,
> > but yet relevant across different periods of time. What word captures all of
> > this? Surely "authentic" is not up to this task.
>
> 'Authentic' is probably as good a word as any because I don't think what
> you're talking about can be nailed down anyway.
>
> The first evening Zen master Momataki arrived at Rain Mountain Monastery the
> monks requested their new master show them the way. When Momataki assented
> with a nod and pointed to the rising moon all but one of the assembled
> looked at his finger.
>
> Lao Tzu, an older contemporary of Confucius, was keeper of the imperial
> archives at Luoyang in the province of Honan in the sixth century B.C. All
> his life he taught that "The Tao that can be told is not the true Tao"; but,
> according to legend, as he was riding off into the desert to die he was
> persuaded by a gatekeeper at Hangu Pass of the Great Wall in northwestern
> China to write down his teaching for posterity.
>
> The essence of Taoism is contained in the eighty-one chapters of the
> book--roughly 5,000 words--which have for 2,500 years provided one of the
> major underlying influences in Chinese thought and culture, emerging also in
> proverbs and folklore. Whereas Confucianism is concerned with day-to-day
> rules of conduct, Taoism is concerned with a more spiritual level of being.
> Appropriately, first line of the book is "The Tao that can be told is not
> the eternal Tao."
>
> So was Lao Tzu just being mysterious, being difficult--or was he on to
> something? Is there something which you has called "authenticity" or isn't
> there? And if so, can it be adequately named?
>
> Suppose a slightly edited film (consisting of doctoring the film by removal
> of the ball) of a soccer match were shown to a person unaware of the game of
> soccer. Could the viewer perceive the rules of the game? It would depend on
> the viewer's syntactic awareness. To make it simple lets call syntax--the
> rules. It would depend on the viewer's native ability in guessing what was
> going on in the film. Did the soccer play have structure, reasons--did it
> have rules? Watch a film of cars at an intersection for a while and almost
> everyone can pick up on the syntax--the rules. Red light, stop--Green light,
> go. As syntax (rules) becomes more subtle our syntactical awareness is
> tested and then eclipsed. What rule(s) governs the mass of the sub-atomic
> particle called a Muon? Nobody knows. The best minds in the world have
> studied the equivalents of Muon/soccer films for decades and haven't a clue.
> So what's the syntax of a Muon's mass? At this point blind guessing is about
> as good as anything.
>
> If our mental maps, our models of the world are sensorially based, then
> [...]

-- KY
Karl Young kyoung@slac.stanford.edu
SLAC M/S 71 PO Box 20450
Stanford, CA 94309