Blowing and Beards

From: millerbk@rconnect.com
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 18:59:04 PST

Ok, I'm really serious about this question. Does (or, perhaps better stated, can) a beard interfere with blowing?

Maybe it's my imagination, but it seemed that as my beard lengthened under my lower lip, I had gradually more and more difficulty getting a good tone. Frustrated, I shaved that area, and, after a few attempts to "find" the correct spot, my tone seems much stronger. I also notice that, without the interfering hair, the tactial sensation of the shak pressing against my "naked" lower lip area gives much better (and subtle) feedback for correct placement.

Is this the placibo effect or am I on to something? Come to think of it, I don't know of any top shak artists that have heavy beards around their chins.

Cheers!
  Brian