Re: tradition

From: jeremy bornstein (uke@jeremy.org)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 08:34:22 PST

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 10:43:02AM -0500, Dan Gutwein wrote:
> This raises an interesting question for me. I love to "go" where
> ever it is I "go" when blowing RO and sitting in meditation. I
> often wonder if having "no-mind" is "flow". Mihaly Cskszentmihalyi
> points out that "flow-experiences" involve getting mental feedback
> and feelings of accomplishment or "progress" (like when composing,
> rock-climbing, running, practicing an instrument, doing yoga, etc.),
> but of course "no-mind" is not that. Would someone like to respond
> to the issue of how to juggle the two "mind-states". When
> practicing Kurokami, I can have "No-mind" some of the time, but
> often lapse into a conscious awareness of my "progress" or an
> awareness of my playing-goals most of the rest of the time. How do
> the rest of you resolve these apparent opposites?

I have also read Cskszentmihalyi's _Flow_ and think I can answer. The
state of flow that the author describes is ultimately the same as
no-mind. Not the sense of accomplishment etc, but rather the full
engagement with -now- which happens. Those other things may be
present in the states which lead to it.

-j

--
                   jeremy bornstein <jeremy@thinger.org>