$$ & Quality of Shakuhachi

From: Stav Tapuch (tapuch@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 00:42:31 PST

What is the deal with the connection between price and quality of
shakuhachi? Now I have read Singer's wonderful article on the search for the
perfect flute - but this article is clearly discussing the virtues of the
best of the best - the 'stradavarius' of the shakuhachi world.

What sense can the new comer make of the world of 'ordinary' shakuhachi? To
what extent are the prices for flutes found on Franklin's web gallery based
on appearance and to what extent on quality of sound? Would someone with a
non-professional ear be able to distinguish between a $3,000 and a $6,000
flute - or between the $2000 and $10,000? I'm sure the professional players
can easily make the distinction - because as an old professor of mine used
to say - the more you learn the more you develop your capacity to suffer.
Once you know what really good wine is you can't stand $5 table wine no
more.

To what extent are these price distinctions created by sound difference,
appearance and/or historical, nostalgic or cultural significance?
Furthermore - if the sound is the real issue, at what point in the learning
experience do people get bored and uninspired by a $500 begginer's flute?

One last question concerning Monty Levenson's flutes. His very best flutes
- of master quality - with outstanding reviews from the who's who of the
shakuhachi world - go for $1500 or so. I have no reason to doubt the claims
as to the quality of these flutes - which would lead me to believe that most
of the money that people pay for flutes beyond the initial $1500 is for
historical, cultural, and/or notalgic compensation. Am I wrong?

As always, I am looking forward to receiving your collective wisdom.

Stav Tapuch