Re:breath

From: drkoenig@juno.com
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 09:43:29 PST

My breathing technique is highly influence by my having played the trumpet, as well as having sung.

So the training achieved in learning those two instruments carried over when I play shakuhachi.

To sum it up the rib cage is held in an expanded position. This frees up the breathing mechinism.

Inhalation is done thru both the mouth and nose;
this promotes relaxation.

Allow the breath to drop as low into the torso as possible. You'll have the feeling as if it is dropping into your groin.

Then the blowing is started with a controlled flexing of the abdominal muscles and diaphram.
This while still holing the rib cage in an expanded position.

It helps to place the palm of one's hand just below the belt and the other on one's side just at the bottom of the ribs. Then inhale and allow both hands to move with the inhalation.

I know this is alot but if you train your body to breath in this way when playing it will really help to increase your breath length.

Shakuhachingly,

Dale