Need help playing kan (upper octave)

From: Wileys (wileyhouse@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 20:02:06 PST

Hi,

I began playing shakuhachi about a month ago, and I have been fairly
sucessful in playing all of the notes in the lower octave clearly. I have
recently been trying to play some notes in the upper octave (kan) but have
been unsuccessful. I have been studying my embroucher closely in a mirror, I
have read several suggestions in books, and I have sought the help from 2
different teachers, but to no avail. Every once in a while, I will suddenly
start playing in the upper octave, but I can't figure out what I am doing
differently. I have watched my teacher's lips very carefully when he shifts
from one octave to the next, and I can see no perceptible difference!

I have tried every conceivable change in my lip tension, the angle I hold
the flute, the pressure of the flute end against my lower lip, the position
of the flute on my lip, etc. etc. As advised, I try to make a thinner stream
of air, but this just makes a lot of dissonant whistling noises on the
utaguchi.

Here are my questions:

1) Should I stop trying so hard? Is this something that will come only after
months or years of practice?

2) Is there some technique I can try? Does anyone have any hints or
suggestions?

Thanks!
Dan