Re: Need help playing kan (upper octave)

From: Zachary Braverman (zachary@kotodama.net)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 21:39:44 PST

On 02.2.2 1:02 PM, "Wileys" <wileyhouse@earthlink.net> wrote:

> 2) Is there some technique I can try? Does anyone have any hints or
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
> Dan

Here's a tip I got from Kurahashi sensei when just starting out that worked
wonders: play (in otsu) ro, tsu, re, chi, ri, then close the 3rd and 4th
holes to jump to kan no ro. Doing this is much easier than just playing kan
no ro straight out for a beginner.

It's not really in the lips, either, so I wouldn't concentrate too much on
lip shape. Think about everything from your throat to mouth to lips working
to refine the air stream. It's not something you can create by thinking
about the proper shape your body parts have to be in, though, at least in my
experience.

Be forwarned, though, that after you get kan down, you are likely to start
having trouble on otsu! Then, finally, you'll get them both down. That's
the way it seems to happen with many people (including me).

Good luck,

Zachary Braverman