Re: Need help playing kan (upper octave)

From: markm@naropa.edu
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 23:04:35 PST

On Fri, 01 Feb 2002 20:02:06 -0800 Wileys wrote:

A month isn't that long- keep trying and it will come. I can throw
out a couple of suggestions:

Increase breath support. Make the air stream more compact (I
know you tried this, but keep trying). Direct the air stream so
that less air goes down into the flute and more air goes out over
the blowing edge. Slide you jaw forward (push your chin out)
(this is a way to accomplish the above- some western classical
flutists use this technique). Relax your lower lip so that more of
it fills up the end of the shakuhachi (this likewise is a way to
redirect the air stream). Try combinations of the above. Keep
trying.

Good luck! I've spent coutless hours on this stuff and still have
many, many more to go. It's a matter of trial and error
(especially the latter?)

Mark

> Hi,
>
> I began playing shakuhachi about a month ago, and I have
been fairly
> sucessful in playing all of the notes in the lower octave clearly.
I have

This message sent using EMUmail -- http://www.emumail.com

Jumping through hoops to get E-mail on the road?
You've got two choices: Join the circus, or use MollyMail.

Molly Mail -- http://www.mollymail.com