Shak Oils

From: Nelson Zink (zink@newmex.com)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 15:47:00 PST

To all,

I did a little research on oils and thought I'd pass it on. Some oils
'dry', that is, oxidize and harden. The measure of this property is the
'Iodine Value'. The oil one uses on a shak should probably be determined by
the reason for its application. Oils with high iodine values will harden to
produce a tough, polishable barrier coating. Oils with lower iodine values
will work better to soak in and prevent cracking as they can be reapplied.

So it's a question of whether you're applying oil to protect your shak or
keep it from cracking. Listed below are oils and their Iodine Values.

DRYING OILS
Linseed -- 179
Tung -- 168
Walnut -- 145