Re: More on Oils

From: edBeaty (edosan@indra.com)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 11:33:45 PST

The reason we apply oils, and other finishes of a more permanent
nature for that matter, is not to REPLACE moisture, but to seal in
moisture that is already present and which we wish to retain. By the
same logic, oil (and finishing in general) also keeps OUT moisture
which we wish to avoid, although this is less critical with things
like shakuhachi.

It is quite difficult, and often impossible, to replace moisture in
wood structures which has been lost; the cell walls of the cellulose
changes when moisture is lost, and with most woods the process is one
way: loss of moisture, but this happens at a rapid rate at first, say
when curing wood initially (including shakuhachi culms), and as time
passes moisture leaves at an increasingly slower rate, until a
homeostatic balance finally persists, unless of course the ambient
environment is changed--application of heat, for example, or soaking
in water.

The idea behind applying oil is to help keep that homeostatic moisture balance.

eB