oil etc.

From: Bernd Clausen (clausen@mmm.muroran-it.ac.jp)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 12:13:47 PST

I would think, Mr. Bravermans hint points into an interesting direction
which was mentioned before. Antonio Stradivaris Violins are considered
special because of the finish he used in his process rather than the
wood. (Although the kind of tree (he used mainly maple, fir and willow)
might be important, too.)
My teacher taught me to use for the take hairoil or "tsubakiyu" (camelia
japonica). This natural product has actually a long history, of course
for a different purpose.
By the way, to me the combination of plastic bag with a dump-bag and two
times tsubakiyu a month is a good protection against cracks etc.
Here on Hokkaido shakuhachi tend to crack easily esp. in Winter.
Although a transparent plastic bag might not look well, it surley does a
good job.....so far.

kind regards
b.c.