Re: Material/Sound

From: Peter Neish (Peter.Neish@rbg.vic.gov.au)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 20:45:47 PST

>>It is certainly true that different woods
>> create different sounding recorders, and a well made wooden
instrument
>> sounds much better than the best quality plastic recorder.
>
> Could you expound on this a little more? Acoustical texts display
just as
> much certainty in the opposite direction. What is it about this issue
that
> resists resolution?
>
> Nelson

I was speaking from my own experience, and that of many recorder
playing friends who insist that the species of wood affects the tone of
the finished instrument. I cannot point to any objective scientific
tests to back this up, just the experience of many people.

I suspect the differences are measurably very small, but are important
in determining the colour of the sound.

Peter