Re: The universe

From: Zachary Braverman (zachary@kotodama.net)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 22:49:47 PST

--B_3095768988_1310748

On 02.2.5 3:18 PM, "Bill O'Connor." <billo44@gaea.ocn.ne.jp> wrote:

> Dear Zachary,
> What about my point that most 'bamboo' Shakuhachi don't
> actually have a bamboo bore? If you have an instrument with no filler in the
> bore, which also plays in tune, you a very lucky man...so the material of the
> bore isn't bamboo it's something else. Unlike instruments such as recorders
> which are turned on a lathe, or have the bore design drilled out using very
> precise tooling (I think!?#), the Shakuhachi bore is hand made, by applying
> layer upon layer of some other filler material. Yet the instrument still
> resonates and has life in it when you blow a sound. The inside of the
> instrument, unlike 9/10ths of the matter in the universe, is fairly easy to
> locate...
>

> Cheers.
>
> Bill O'Connor.

OK, now weユre finally down to the heart of the matter, the universe and ji!

Sure, most shakuhachi have some ji and some lacquer coating and shaping the
bore, but it isnユt just these that vibrate, itユs the whole flute. Iユm not a
shakuhachi maker (does one want to speak up?), but I doubt the weight of the
ji+lacquer is as much as 1/10 the weight of the bamboo. Therefore, you
still get the effect of the bamboo vibrating.

Thatユs the magical thing about a shakuhachi....each piece of bamboo is
different. They cannot be turned on a lathe like a recorder. The maker
must find the right balance of ji and lacquer for each new flute, and itユs
the ability to achieve this balance that makes a shakuhachi maker.

And Iユm not sure, but are there really any shakuhachi with absolutely no ji
whatsoever that play perfectly in D?

Watazumi was stuck on hocchiku, but he also went begging to Rampo to make
him a ji-nashi flute that was actually in tune. Rampo said he couldnユt do
it.

Cheers back,

Zachary Braverman

--B_3095768988_1310748

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: The universe</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial">On 02.2.5 3:18 PM, &quot;Bill O'Connor.&quot; &lt;billo4=
4@gaea.ocn.ne.jp&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Palatino">Dear Zachary,<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;What about my point that most '=
bamboo' Shakuhachi don't actually have a bamboo bore? &nbsp;If you have an i=
nstrument with no filler in the bore, which also plays in tune, you a very l=
ucky man...so the material of the bore isn't bamboo it's something else. &nb=
sp;Unlike instruments such as recorders which are turned on a lathe, or have=
 the bore design drilled out using very precise tooling (I think!?#), the Sh=
akuhachi bore is hand made, by applying layer upon layer of some other fille=
r material. &nbsp;Yet the instrument still resonates and has life in it when=
 you blow a sound. &nbsp;The inside of the instrument, unlike 9/10ths of the=
 matter in the universe, is fairly easy to locate...<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Cheers.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Bill O'Connor.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Palatino"><BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">OK, now we&#8217;re finally down to the heart of =
the matter, the universe and ji!<BR>
<BR>
Sure, most shakuhachi have some ji and some lacquer coating and shaping the=
 bore, but it isn&#8217;t just these that vibrate, it&#8217;s the whole flut=
e. &nbsp;I&#8217;m not a shakuhachi maker (does one want to speak up?), but =
I doubt the weight of the ji+lacquer is as much as 1/10 the weight of the ba=
mboo. &nbsp;Therefore, you still get the effect of the bamboo vibrating. &nb=
sp;<BR>
<BR>
That&#8217;s the magical thing about a shakuhachi....each piece of bamboo i=
s different. &nbsp;They cannot be turned on a lathe like a recorder. &nbsp;T=
he maker must find the right balance of ji and lacquer for each new flute, a=
nd it&#8217;s the ability to achieve this balance that makes a shakuhachi ma=
ker.<BR>
<BR>
And I&#8217;m not sure, but are there really any shakuhachi with absolutely=
 no ji whatsoever that play perfectly in D?<BR>
<BR>
Watazumi was stuck on hocchiku, but he also went begging to Rampo to make h=
im a ji-nashi flute that was actually in tune. &nbsp;Rampo said he couldn&#8=
217;t do it. <BR>
<BR>
Cheers back,<BR>
<BR>