Re: Sound Material

From: Reg Tanaban (reg418@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 02:24:09 PST

------=_NextPart_000_02C6_01C1ADEC.313B9500
        charset="iso-2022-jp"

Re: Sound MaterialEven though the scientists seem to be on the other =
side, I'm inclined to side with Zach on this issue. It's not that I =
think one or the other side is incorrect in their assumptions. Rather, =
the uniqueness of the features of each bamboo means each shakuhachi is =
also unique, in terms of tone color, intonation, tonal dynamics, etc.=20

It may be that, theoretically, we can duplicate these things by carving =
enough PVC into the target shape. However, I think part of the beauty of =
shakuhachi making lies in treating the natural expression (shape, =
structure) of the bamboo with respect, and adapting your craft to the =
"needs" of the bamboo at hand. (I'm not a shakuhachi maker, but had some =
opportunities to try it out; it's a very interesting experience for any =
shakuhachi player! I highly recommend it.)

Through the history of shakuhachi, there seems to be an increasing =
tendency to "force" the bamboo to sound a certain way, keep a certain =
intonation, etc., and while I don't think this trend is bad, if it =
continues we may well see the shakuhachi version of the Boehm flute =
soon, with metal valves, etc.! Again, if someone wants to play such a =
thing, I don't think it's bad, although it's not my preference. And I =
would suppose professional shakuhachi makers typically won't make their =
reputations anytime soon by making shakuhachi that are not precisely =
tuned, no matter how great the tone (although connoisseurs I've met of =
the ji-nashi shakuhachi are usually willing to adapt to the funky =
intonation for the sake of that great, natural feel and sound). However, =
it certainly feels nicer to play on a instrument of (formerly - and in a =
way, still) living wood, with as little of the post-industrial age =
materials as possible, at least to me, since much of the shakuhachi that =
personally appeals to me is its (potential) minimalist, pre- (or non-) =
industrial aesthetic.=20

  ----- Original Message -----=20