ji-nashi shakuhachis being out of tune

From: Kiku Day (kikuescargot@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 15:39:15 PST

<DIV>Why is everybodu so sure that ji-nashi shakuhachis can't be as 'perf=
ectly' in tune as the ji-ari shakuhachis? I have made&nbsp;some myself, w=
ith which I am very satisfied (not all, I admit)&nbsp;and I have seen&nbs=
p;several made by Murai Eigoro in Tokyo been as perfectly in tune as any =
other shakuhachi. Of course when making shakuhachis the percentage commin=
g out perfectly in tune surely is not as high as the ji-aris,&nbsp;where =
one can apply to the bore and take it away again as one wish.</DIV>
<DIV>There was one person last week who asked if anybody who has used the=
 ji-nashi shakuhachi has been happy with it. Yes, I have not used anythin=
g else than ji-nashi shakuhachis, and I don't play more out of tune than =
many other ji-ari shakuhachi players. It is scary in the beginning, when =
you get a shakuhachi that is slightly out of tune, and you just have to d=
eal with it while playing if you want to play in tune. But after hours an=
d hours of practice you'll get to know exactly where this and this shakua=
hchi is out of tune. It's many hours of work and lots of patience, but wo=
rth it, because of the fantastic sound the ji-nashi shakuhachi has. So su=
rely&nbsp;I have been very happy with my ji-nashi instruments. I only use=
 ji-ari shakuhachis when I teach, and&nbsp;I do find it hard for my ears.=
 I even think if I had not been so lucky to bumb into a ji-nashi teacher =
(Okuda Atsuya-san), I would have gone back to play the Western flute rath=
er than keep on playing the ji-ari shakuhachi. Anyway,&nbsp;if you want t=
o have a fantastic ji-nashi instrument, I'll let you know how to contact =
Murai-san.</DIV>
<DIV>Best wishes</DIV>