Re: Material/Sound

From: Nelson Zink (zink@newmex.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 10:52:51 PST

Zachary,

> I'm curious, though. You seem like an intelligent guy, but what you are
> arguing seems (no offense) totally preposterous to me.
>
> For instance, say we have spheres six inches in diameter made out of wood,
> iron, and crystal. Are you arguing that, when struck by the same stick, each
> of these would make the exact same sound?
>
> That's what I *think* you're saying. Am I wrong?

Yes, you are. I'll say it again, slowly. What we're talking about is
areophones, NOT idiophones. This means we're talking about woodwinds, NOT
instruments that you strike.

It important that you understand the reason for this distinction. With
idiophones the material IS vastly important. With idiophones that's what
you're playing--the material.

Now Zack, focus your mind. With an areophone (a flute), what is the material
you're playing? It's AIR! The material all areophones use to make sound is
AIR. When you really GET this, the whole thing will clear up. With a shak
you're NOT playing bamboo you're playing AIR. The material used to enclose
the AIR is incidental. With areophones it's the shape of the emptiness that
you're playing, the geometry. A shak isn't dependent on it's bamboo, it's
dependent on the shape of it's air. All woodwinds use the same
material--AIR!!

Shakuhachi makers don't shape bamboo, they shape emptiness--that space in
the bore!! They just use bamboo to do it. They just create a 'bottle' for
the material--AIR.

I'm not being difficult, arcane or argumentative. When you really comprehend
how a shak works your playing can go to a whole new and much deeper level.
You're playing shaped AIR--that's the instrument. Open your mind to the fact
that air is a substance, a material that can be formed into musically
interesting shapes.

Sorry for being so direct, but it's my birthday today and I'm taking
liberties.

Nelson