Material/Sound, ad infinitum, ad nauseum...

From: edBeaty (edosan@indra.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 11:22:12 PST

Just for the record,

In 1998, here at the World Shakuhachi Festival (and a fine time it
was, too...), I went to a workshop on shakuhachi design and
construction put on by the estimable John Kaizan Neptune. I believe
that Monty Levenson and Kobayashi Ichijo also participated. As part
of his presentation, Neptune picked up a tapered plastic tube with
holes and a plastic mouthpiece which looked like nothing more than a
modern bamboo shakuhachi from which the bamboo had been removed.

Neptune then proceeded to play the living bejesus out of the thing,
and lo, didn't it sound like a first rate shakuhachi....

I have been regaled for years by otherwise apparently reasonable
people who claimed that my (then, whenever) new shakuhachi would
really not sound its best until I had dutifully played for a year and
"broken it in...mellowed it out."

It is my not so humble opinion that the only thing that gets broken
in and mellowed out here is the practitioner--and the more dutiful
the player the more profound the result.

I am certainly not advocating the abandonment of bamboo for
shakuhachi construction here--why mess with a great thing. I do
believe that wall thickness, hole size, shape, and hole tapering have
a much more important effect on the playability and responsiveness
and certainly the "character" of a given shakuhachi, but let's leave
off worrying so much about angels dancing on pinheads here and blowl
the damn thing.

(and Monty, thanks...)

eB

--
temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin
Franklin

edBeaty Boulder, CO edosan@indra.com