Re: ji-nashi shakuhachis being out of tune

From: edBeaty (edosan@indra.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 11:36:44 PST

--============_-1199184462==_ma============

=46rom what I have gleaned, it is no mean feat to get a ji-nashi flute
in tune in OTSU; it when you get into kan that you find problems,
thus the development of the "moder" tapered bore flute, which allows
for correct upper octave intonation and better overall dynamic
balance and control.

Neptune makes a really effective hybrid by placing strategic globs of
material (usually epoxy glue, god forbid) here and there in the bore
of the flutes (which in this case tend to be longer ones...),
determining the location by trial and error--and of course his great
playing skill and experience. These flutes perform very well and
still have that bumpy ji-nashi character. When you look in the bore
of one of thest beasts it looks like a train wreck in a tunnel.

eB

>Hi
>Why is everybodu so sure that ji-nashi shakuhachis can't be as
>'perfectly' in tune as the ji-ari shakuhachis? I have made some
>myself, with which I am very satisfied (not all, I admit) and I have
>seen several made by Murai Eigoro in Tokyo been as perfectly in tune
>as any other shakuhachi. Of course when making shakuhachis the
>percentage comming out perfectly in tune surely is not as high as
>the ji-aris, where one can apply to the bore and take it away again
>as one wish.
>There was one person last week who asked if anybody who has used the
>ji-nashi shakuhachi has been happy with it. Yes, I have not used
>anything else than ji-nashi shakuhachis, and I don't play more out
>of tune than many other ji-ari shakuhachi players. It is scary in
>the beginning, when you get a shakuhachi that is slightly out of
>tune, and you just have to deal with it while playing if you want to
>play in tune. But after hours and hours of practice you'll get to
>know exactly where this and this shakuahchi is out of tune. It's
>many hours of work and lots of patience, but worth it, because of
>the fantastic sound the ji-nashi shakuhachi has. So surely I have
>been very happy with my ji-nashi instruments. I only use ji-ari
>shakuhachis when I teach, and I do find it hard for my ears. I even
>think if I had not been so lucky to bumb into a ji-nashi teacher
>(Okuda Atsuya-san), I would have gone back to play the Western flute
>rather than keep on playing the ji-ari shaku! hachi. Anyway, if you
>want to have a fantastic ji-nashi instrument, I'll let you know how
>to contact Murai-san.
>Best wishes
>Kiku
>

>Join the world=92s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail.
><http://go.msn.com/bql/hmtag4_etl_EN.asp>Click Here

--============_-1199184462==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
 --></style><title>Re: ji-nashi shakuhachis being out of
flute in tune in OTSU; it when you get into kan that you find
problems, thus the development of the &quot;moder&quot; tapered bore
flute, which allows for correct upper octave intonation and better
overall dynamic balance and control.</div>
globs of material (usually epoxy glue, god forbid) here and there in
the bore of the flutes (which in this case tend to be longer ones...),
determining the location by trial and error--and of course his great
playing skill and experience. These flutes perform very well and still
have that bumpy ji-nashi character. When you look in the bore of one
of thest beasts it looks like a train wreck in a tunnel.</div>
shakuhachis can't be as 'perfectly' in tune as the ji-ari shakuhachis?
I have made&nbsp;some myself, with which I am very satisfied (not all,
I admit)&nbsp;and I have seen&nbsp;several made by Murai Eigoro in
Tokyo been as perfectly in tune as any other shakuhachi. Of course
when making shakuhachis the percentage comming out perfectly in tune
surely is not as high as the ji-aris,&nbsp;where one can apply to the
bore and take it away again as one wish.</blockquote>
if anybody who has used the ji-nashi shakuhachi has been happy with
it. Yes, I have not used anything else than ji-nashi shakuhachis, and
I don't play more out of tune than many other ji-ari shakuhachi
players. It is scary in the beginning, when you get a shakuhachi that
is slightly out of tune, and you just have to deal with it while
playing if you want to play in tune. But after hours and hours of
practice you'll get to know exactly where this and this shakuahchi is
out of tune. It's many hours of work and lots of patience, but worth
it, because of the fantastic sound the ji-nashi shakuhachi has. So
surely&nbsp;I have been very happy with my ji-nashi instruments. I
only use ji-ari shakuhachis when I teach, and&nbsp;I do find it hard
for my ears. I even think if I had not been so lucky to bumb into a
ji-nashi teacher (Okuda Atsuya-san), I would have gone back to play
the Western flute rather than keep on playing the ji-ari shaku! hachi.
Anyway,&nbsp;if you want to have a fantastic ji-nashi instrument, I'll
let you know how to contact Murai-san.</blockquote>
<hr></blockquote>
with MSN Hotmail. <a
href=3D"http://go.msn.com/bql/hmtag4_etl_EN.asp">Click
Here</a></blockquote>