Re: Shak Oils

From: Dan Gutwein (dfgutw@wm.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 16:02:09 PST

At the first lesson I had with Ronnie I offered him my flute to play and
check out and the first thing he did was smell the oil and make a funny
face (I guess he didn't like the smell of old Walnut Oil), but he proceeded
to tell me to only use the dampet and that he felt that correct humidity
was all that was needed. So, I stopped using oil and started using the
dampet. My wife was glad to hear of my decision because she is always
concerned about how long we allow our cold-pressed olive oil, massage oil,
etc. to sit around for fear of it turning rancid. Doesn't any natural oil
turn rancid on your flute and produce a strange smell after a period of
time and won't the rancidity invite other types of nasty biological process
to begin taking place in/on our flutes?

Anyway, have any of you had years of experience comparing the effectiveness
of dampets vs. oils, or does any one care to answer to my concern about
rancidity?

Dan