Re: Importance of material

From: B. Ritchie (nemo2000@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 17:35:27 PST

Right on Peter!,

I agree with everything you have said here.

When people bring me their flutes or flutes they are considering buying for
evaluation I always make them sit in a chair with their backs to me and I
play their flute along with any other shakuhachi I have in the same length.
In the most common case, 1.8, that means I play shakuhachi ranging from
beautiful old Kinko flutes to Monty's cast bore, Edo period ji nashi
flutes, PVC flutes, wooden student models, Myoan flutes, and whatever else
happens to be around. I then play the same piece of music on each flute and
ask the listener to react to the sound itself.

Even the least experienced people have no trouble distinguishing between
the different sounds, and generally describe the flutes in terms which
would be expected for a flute of each type. For example old Kinko flute,
smooth, rich. Monty cast bore, bright. Ji nashi, earthy. Plastic flute,
thin. Wooden student flute, dull. They are almost always able to tell by
the sound which flutes are old and which are of recent make. Because they
are not looking at the flutes when they listen they are not bringing
preconceived notions to the evaluation.

On the other hand the feeling one gets from a flute is totally subjective.
Nobody else can tell you how a flute makes you feel, or how it should make
you feel. I enjoy playing PVC flutes on occasion. I keep one in my car for
when I'm stuck in gridlock. But I can play an old jinashi flute for hours
and not get bored. I doubt I'd be able to do that with a PVC flute or even
most good quality modern bamboo flutes. And by the way the jinashi flutes I
have are not out of tune. Why do people buy jinashi flutes that are out of
tune? Anyway no flute is "in" or "out" of tune because flutes don't play
themselves. People play them. A good player can deal with a flute that is
slightly awry or a lousy player can make a hideous sound on a well balanced
instrument. Personally I am bored by flutes that have had the idiosycracies
removed from them by overzealous makers. Let the music be a conversation
between the bamboo and the human. The player should bring out the music
that is latent within the bamboo, not attempt to dominate it and show it
who's the boss. If you spend enough time with a shakuhachi, especially one
that is unique, the instrument will teach you how to play the music. You
just have to listen and react.

Respect the bamboo!!!

Brian