Re: material and sound

From: Nelson Zink (zink@newmex.com)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 00:48:05 PST

Peter,

> but that's what I find with these non-traditional
> flutes, that the sound is too pure, not "dirty" enough.

Ahhh. Now we're gettin' down to it. How to put some funk into the sound.
You've got two things: shape and surface.

Shape includes rounding/sharpening corners, etc. as it changes the shape of
the emptiness. Circles, ovals, weird river-stream kinds of shapes cut out by
gouges and/or files/rasps. Cloud shapes. Circles changing into ovals
changing into something indescribable at the second hole, making a straight
shot to the choke point and then meandering over some gravel to the foot.
What's going to be the sound of that shape? You'd have to play it to know.
Fat, skinny. Fat and going on a diet at about the thumb hole. It's all
geometry.

Surface: hard, soft--slick, rough. Those sounds? Combined with different
variations in shape would give an infinity of subtle shades.

Like mellow? Make the surface softer, rougher and the shape generally
fatter. Carpet the walls with beaver fur--from very small beavers.

To a large extent shape and surface effects are interchangeable. Brassier?
Either go skinnier or harder/slicker. Or Both.

I've been surprised that people seem hesitant to experiment with their
bores. Peanut butter is a very fast way to contemplate and test
modifications. You put stuff in your nose as a kid didn't you?

Nelson