Re: Sound Material

From: Peter Ross (peteross@cloudhandsmusic.com)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 12:52:55 PST

Just a short note. When I lived in N.Y.C. several new concert halls were
constructed. Millions of dollars and teams of acoustical engineers wher=
involved. Some of these halls turned out good, but some had lousy acoust=
ics.
Sometimes too much knowledge gets in the way of intuition.

Also, I think that flutes may mellow after one year of more for several
reasons besides playing and the dulling of the mouthpiece and finger hol=
es.
Urushi dries overnight but takes up to a year to fully cure. This might
affect the sound. There's no mistaking an old flute from a new one. The
Japanese have a word for this: Shabui. I don't think we can speed up th=
"olding" process and get the same results.

Peter