instrument construction

From: Peter (shakahuna@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 19:02:11 PST

Another note on instrument construction. An instrument repairman told
me that the guy who works on most of the Strads--I think he's in
England--found that they were made not according to a pattern, but
built up as he went along. So part B was fittted to part A, C to B and
so on. I see a corollary in the older way of making shakuhachi, by
working the bore as one goes (went) along. This too may accound for
their greater individuality.

Peter

PS I see I spelled Brian's last name wrong. Too much time spent
shopping for mountain bike components (Tom Ritchey)....