Re: Perils of languages

From: Windsor Viney (wgviney@uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 09:26:21 PST

Shakuhachi friends,

Profound apologies -- especially to Aiko Ichimura, whose written English is
very fine -- for sending a note to the list which (obviously) was intended
for another (individual) reader. Perils of languages, and e-mail, indeed ....

I had been discussing this matter with a friend because I have occasion to
tutor people for whom English is not their first language, and am
fascinated by patterns in the difficulties that arise in moving back and
forth between languages that are due not so much to just not knowing a word
or idiom, but to the screen, as it were, thrown up for a learner by the
resources -- phonological, idomatic, etc. -- of his or her first language.

I myself am very poor at speaking any language other than English -- and
sometimes have serious doubts about English, too. No offence or criticism
intended.

With a very red face (a notion probably articulated in *every* language),

Windsor Viney
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada