These are a few of my favorite things

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 11:01:31 PST

>From: Dan Gutwein <dfgutw@wm.edu>
>Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 17:35:25 -0500
>Subject: to 10 favorite CDs
>
>I thought ... it might be helpful to ask the more experienced
>enthusiasts out there "What are your top 10 favorite traditional
>(folk, sankyoku, honkyoku) CDs played by your most favorite players?"

I'm surprised that no one responded to this one, so...

(theme song from The Sound of Music)

These are a few of my favorite CDs:

The CDs (and one cassette tape) listed below (in no particular
order of preference) are those that I find myself listening to most
often, mostly for enjoyment or background music while programming.
I have also listened to each of them with an ear toward studying
the techniques of the player(s).

I've listed one source for each of them. I'm sure there are others.

bj

--0--

Title: Best Selection Library: Folk Songs for Shakuhachi
Performer: Iwao Yoneya
Label: King Records (Japanese CD)
Number: KICX 8314
-
Minyo in the Tokyo Style.
Great addition to the Minyo notation books by Yonea if you're into
Minyo (or just into having some fun).

(Available from: Bunkado - LA's Little Tokyo - 213/625-1122)

-=-

Shakuhachi and Koto
Title: ?? (Green Forest on Cover)
Performer Shakuhachi: Yamamoto Hozan
Performer Koto: Tadao Sawai(?)
Label: Nippon Columbia (Japanese CD)
Number: COCF-10802
-
Don't even know what the titles are on this one (although I
recognize a couple of the pieces from hearing them in concert at
various times). Can't find it on the Komuso.com website (which
means I need to scan the cover and send the jpg to Ron).

Solid performances of excellent, mostly-traditional music.

(Available from: Bunkado - LA's Little Tokyo - 213/625-1122)

-=-

Title: Fukuda Rando Shakuhachi Meikyoku Sen
Performer: Yokoyama Katsuya
Label: Ongaku no Tomo Sha Corp.
Number: OCD-0900
-
Get this CD and the Fukuda Rando notation set (from Mejiro, address
below) and have some fun with Rando's music.

(Available from: Bunkado - LA's Little Tokyo - 213/625-1122)

-=-

Title: Kinko Ryu Shakuhachi: Hogaku vol. 19
Performer: Yamaguchi Goro
Performer: Aoki Reibo
Label: Victor Musical Industries Inc. (Japanese CD)
Number: VDR-25175
-
A CD that most folks will find a useful addition to their
collection. Kinko traditional pieces, listed on the komuso.com
website.

(Available from: Bunkado - LA's Little Tokyo - 213/625-1122)

-=-

Title: Shingetsu
Performer: Tadashi Tajima
Label: Music of the World
Number: CDT-124
-
Previously reviewed on this list. Tadashi is a powerful player.
All traditional stuff.

(Available from: amazon.com or tower records)

-=-

Title: Zen Spirit
Performer: Tani Senzan
Label: Oasis
Number: WMSCD102
-
Easily my favorite shak cd for quiet listening. Senzan plays pieces
(like Jinpaicho) that you don't find on other CDs.

(Available from: Monty Levenson / shakuhachi.com)

-=-

Title: Shakuhachi - The Japanese Flute
Performer: Kohachiro Miyata
Label: Elektra Nonesuch Explorer
Number: 9 72076-2
-
If you haven't seen this CD (zen priest raking rocks on the cover),
you haven't been paying any attention to the World Music rack at
Tower Records (or any other record store). Miyata's playing is
simple and unadorned (to the extent that one critic claimed that
Miyata's play wasn't "musical" - whatever that meant). I'm
particularly fond of his Sanya.

(Available from: amazon.com or tower records)

-=-

Title: Japan: Music of the Shakuhachi
Performer: Goro Yamaguchi
Performer: Katsuya Yokahama
Performer: Hozan Yamamoto
Performer: Reibo Aoki
Label: JVC World Sounds
Number: VICG-5357-2
-
Another CD you're likely to find in a record shop. Part of a set of
traditional music published by JVC. And with that cast of
performers, you can't afford *not* to own a copy. The best of the
late 20th century shakuhachi players.

(Available from: amazon.com or tower records)

-=-

Shakuhachi & Koto
Title: Yu (Play)
Performer: Hiromi Hashibe
Performer: Masakazu Yoshizawa
Label: Soundcastle Yoshizawa
Number: Cassette #1
-
My teacher and his koto player (insert shameless plug here). As I
understand it, "Yu" means "play" both in the sense of to play an
instrument and to play like a child (to have fun). One of the most
playful renditions of Haru-no-Umi I've heard (also good for picking
up a few ideas for playing the piece yourself).

(Available from: Masa Yoshizawa http://kokingumi.com)

-=-

And finally, two superb sets of CDs:

Goro Yamaguchi
Honkyoku - 12 CD Set
VZCG-8066 through VZCG-8077

Available along with the notation (by Muira Kindo), this set ain't
cheap, but then, when you divide the cost by the number of CDs, it's
no more expensive than any other dozen CDs you've purchased, and
there's a lifetime of listening and study in them.

(Available from Mejiro info@mejiro-jp.com)

Jin Nyodo
Honkyoku - 6 CD Set
Teichiku XL-70134 through XL-70136

This is the one set of CDs that's not included in my statement
above. I don't put Jin Nyodo on the CD player for easy listening
in the background. The recording quality is terrible - but then,
that's what you'd expect from a recording made in the living room
on a 2.5" reel-to-reel tape recorder (remember those?).

On the other hand, for simple, direct, unadorned, close-to-komuso
playing, this is where it's at. Care to study a master? Buy the
CDs and the notation and go for it. (Oh, BTW, get a good teacher
to help you interpret the two.)

(Available (the last time I checked) from Monty Levenson. If he's
sold out, the set is sold by the Jin Guild in Japan, but I don't
know how you would get one if you don't travel there.

bj

-