Favorite CDs/recordings...

From: edBeaty (edosan@indra.com)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 13:50:59 PST

Thanks bj,

Great list, with almost 100% overlap with my own!

I'd like to add a few titles, first in the area of things I like to
study and emulate (when I'm actually studying, which unfortunately
does not include the present...), then some more obscure titles; less
"mainstream shakuhachi" (whatever that is anymore), but nevertheless
interesting.

In addition to Kohachiro Miyata--"The Japanese Flute (which indeed
all should have), I like a series of Honkyoku from several lineages
by Yoshikazu Iwamomoto, a superb player, with a sweet and distinctive
style:

        Spirit of Dusk Buna 92734-2 (the only album cat.
number I have..)
        Spirit of Wind
        Spirit of Silence
        Traditional Japanese Music
All are on the Buna Records label under the rubric "Musique Du
Monde." Honkyoku is from Nezasa-Ha, Kinko, and Watazumi-do
traditions. Iwamoto uses 2.3 for most pieces; occasionally 1.8.
http://www.budamusique.com

I'm also a dedicated fan of Riley Lee, and although I know he is
listening and I will therefore opine that I love ALL his music, some
particular favorites are:

        "Memories of Japan: Folk Melodies of Old Japan"(Minyo, 1984);
only on cassette (although I will make copies on CD with Riley's
permission for those who are willing to send him $12.00US...). Great
music and a great learning aid--all the tunes are on 1.8 except one
(2.1). Monty Levenson may have some cassettes on hand
http://www.shakuhachi.com, and perhaps Riley still has some. 18
tunes, many are familiar classics played by a master (he was even
pretty good in '84...).

        "Water Music" (Tall Poppies TP033, 1995). All Honkyoku-like
or melodic improvisations performed in one session in a covered water
reservoir in Sydney (1992). NOT traditional, but very interesting
ideas, most played on 1.8 with a 1.4, 2.0, 2.4 here and there. I love
this album and have labored over it. Probably available only through
Riley. Superb learning aid; for technique, musicality, and
transcribing music from a recording. Some pieces are relatively easy;
some are tougher. Although not traditional, these pieces come from
the same sensibility, and are a great diversion if you should get
sick of honkyoku (God forbid!) from time to time. If anyone gets into
it and is too lazy to figure out the flute lengths, I will provide.

Riley also has a multivolume series (up to 6 or so now, I believe--to
be 7 in all) of Honkyoku pieces (Nezasa-Ha, Chikuho, and Watazumi-do)
on Tall Poppies. Many are even played on flutes short enough for the
rest of us...1.9, 1.7, 2.4.
        Breath-Sight TP015
        Bamboo Grass TP102
        Empty Sky TP118
        Autumn Field TP138
        Deep Night TP151
Great learning and listening material...

I also enjoy listening to "Sanctuary: Music From a Zen Garden," which
is another improvisational effort by Riley with a traditional
quality, this time with Koto (1.8, 2.1, 1.6), from Narada
72438-49603-2-2.
1984/2000. http://www.narada.com or Riley's site: http://www.rileylee.net

There is also the estimable "Zen" by Yokoyama Katsuya (1982 Wergo
Spectrum SM 1033/34-50), with all the big Watazumi-do warhorses and a
few Nezasa-Ha and Kinko pieces. Alas, it is probably out of print,
but look for it (two CD set, German label) in used bins.
Katsuya-sensei was in his prime...

Obscure, odd, but very interesting is "Masters of Zen: Shakuhachi and
Organ" (go figure....) on PlayaSound (1998 PS65199). The kicker is
that Yamamoto Hozan plays shakuhachi, Mori Chieko plays bass koto,
and Yoshizawa Masakazu sings and plays percussion. Of course, a
German fella plays the cathedral organ. Very powerful. Also has a
couple solos by Yamamoto. Email: Playasound@wanadoo.fr

I've also learned a lot from "Words Can't Go There" by John Kaizan
Neptune (1992, Oasis NHCD-203), which has some honkyoku as well as
pieces by John. There are two Tozan pieces, Kogarashi and Asakaze,
which are worth learning, just because they're Tozan--lyrical but
still "honkyoku." Probably available from Monty Levenson. Also some
kicking around in US music stores these days.

I admire the playing of Masayuki Koga, who has several albums out.
One compilation CD I like, drawn from several of these albums is
"Eastwind" (1988, Fortuna Records 17067-2), which has both
interestingly played honkyoku, a chunk of Rokudan which is worth
emulating, 5 pieces by Koga, and two improvisations worth attempting.
Koga is a fine player; probably available from Monty.

Finally, and this doesn't exhaust the list, only my time, I enjoy
Michael Gould's "Shakuhachi:Floating Clouds"; all honkyoku, mostly
Yokoyama transmitted Watazumi-do, influenced by Taniguchi-sensei, a
piece or two by Taniguchi, and a Nezasa-ha piece. The good news is
that all the transcriptions are available from Michael; bad news (for
playing along) is that the whole album is played on a 2.9 or
thereabouts. Great listening if you like big, fat honkyoku, well
played. http://home.earthlink.net/~chikuzen/

Also, a footnote to the recent discussions devolving around flute
quality, selecting and evaluating a flute, and such: Take a visit to
http://home.earthlink.net/~chikuzen/tidbits.html
...Michael has a helpful, thought-provoking page on these issues.

eB

--
"Maybe I'm just being duped by the Zen du jour touchy feely aspect of
the portrayal of the shakuhachi for westerners but what the hell, I'm

++++++++ (My favorite quote from the e-list...apologies to Karl. --eB) ++++++++

edBeaty edosan@indra.com