Re: My second try: Clay Shakuhachi

From: Reid Reid (reid1898@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 16:55:34 PST

Dear Aiko-san,

Please don't feel insecure about your English. Your English is fine, and
you have interesting comments.

It reminds me of something I read recently. Richard Feyman, the Noble
recipient in Physics (and the guy that figured out the O-ring problem with
the shuttle), studied bongos in Brazil. People in Brazil complimented his
playing frequently. He discounted their compliments, thinking that they
were just being polite. But then someone told him that he had some unique
sounds or variations of rhythms. He got to thinking about it and thought
that it might be like someone speaking a foreign language. A woman with a
foreign accent sometimes "sounds" more beautiful because of her accent.
Little mistakes she makes in the language are sometimes endearing. Feyman
thought that maybe his playing captured some of the foreign accent appeal
(assuming that some of the compliments were more than just being friendly).

Maybe when a Westerner plays Shakuhachi he/she has a type of foreign
language, possibly derived from a lifetime of hearing/playing other types of
music.