Re: Where does the sound come from?

From: Zachary Braverman (zachary@kotodama.net)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 16:59:11 PST

On 02.2.8 8:41 AM, "Brian Miller" <millerbk@rconnect.com> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> Maybe the answer to this question is obvious to most (but not to me!)
> but, from what physical location does sound project from the shakuhachi?

Brian,

The quick answer to your question is: the top third or so of the flute.

Proof: Tap the fourth hole, and put your ear to the bamboo at the top and
the bottom of the flute. You'll find sound emanating from the top third or
so of the flute. Fine, you say, but that's because that's where I'm
tapping, right? Next, tap the first hole. You'll find that even when you
tap the first hole, it's the top third or so of the flute that responds
sonically.

If someone plays your flute, you can listen up and down the length of it,
and you'll find that it's the portion of the bamboo near the mouthpiece that
is actually putting out the sound. This is why people often place
microphones on the top rather than the bottom of the flute when they attach
them to the shaq.

I was surprised to hear this when my teacher told me, because, like you, I
figured sound came out the bottom. With experimentation, though, you'll see
that's not the case.

Best,

Zachary