Shi bui and Fukizome

From: Sandra and Alcvin Ramos (ramos@telus.net)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 05:29:57 PST

Great discussions!

I agreed with Peter Ross's post about tone color and material earlier
on. Very nicely put. But I believe Peter meant to say "Shibui" not
"Shabui". (I don't think "shabui" even has a meaning in Japanese.)
However, this term contains many other nuances not only "getting old",
although they are cetainly associated with it, eg. earthy,
asymmetrical, simple, unpretentious, conatmination, crude, natural
process, ambiguous, dim, expansion of sensory information, ephemeral,
just to name a few. It can also be used in Japan to degrade (someone
depending on the context) or praise someone or something. Thanks for the
post, Peter!

I think a lot of teachers in Japan do a kind of fukizome, although I've
never heard it referred to it as that. My sensei in Japan just recently
had a recital for his student to start the year off, and I do a shugyou
on the first day of the year as well as hold a concert. My other mentor,
when he was training shakuhachi in Japan in Kyoto, used to go every year
on January 3, with his shakuhachi group to the local temple (Yasaka
jinja) and play pieces in front of the shrine. And of course they had a
party afterwards! I'll ask him if he called that practice "fukizome".

Alcvin

--
Bamboo-In
Email: ramos@telus.net

"So in that sound you have to put in your balls, your strength and your own specialness. And what you are putting in then is your own Life and your own Life Force." ---Watazumi-do