Re: Shakuhachi gatherings

From: es.ha (es.ha@t-online.de)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 12:38:00 PST

dear shakuhachi friends,

i live in germany, i am a "young" member of ichion-kai, we are about 50 stu=
dents in different towns, our master is shinan ikkei nobuhisa hanada from =
itchoken in fukuoka. he lives in germany.

recentley i participate at my first gathering, we will have twice a year. t=
here were also guests players ( kinko and nishimura ).

we played together ( about 30 students) at the beginning and at the end "ho=
nte choshi", and than on once own.=20

for me something strange happend.
when we played together, it was a very dense high sound in the air, and sud=
denly i had impression, a deep sound came out of my shak even when i stoppe=
d blowing.
do you have eperienced something like this?=20

sorry my english has a german accent ;-)

all the best too

sigrid held

=20

"Steven Casano" <casanosteven@hotmail.com> schrieb:

>Dear Aiko-san,
>=A0
>During my shakuhachi studies in Japan, I did not participate in performanc=
es specifically geared towards the New Years Holiday.=A0 However, teachers,=
 at least to my knowledge, frequently have performances for their students =
throughout the year.=A0 These performances are truly a good opportunity for=
 students to play in a congenial environment, but the students are required=
 to pay their teacher in order to participate.=A0 This practice seems to be=
 quite common, even outside of shakuhachi ryuu-ha.=A0=20
>=A0
>In the shakuhachi world, I can only think of one gathering similar to the =
kind you described in your e-mail, the Kyochiku Zenji Housan Kai.=A0 The Ky=
ochiku Zenji Housan Kai (began in 1952) meets twice a year; in the fall (No=
vember in Myouan-ji, Kyoto) and spring (June at another location). It doesn=
't matter what ryuu-ha one is studying under, for at the ceremony I attende=
d I heard Tozan-ryuu, Chikuho-ryuu, Kinko-ryuu, etc.=A0 However, I do belie=
ve that in order to participate in the ceremony you do have to be a member =
of the Myouan Kyoukai, I'll need to check on this further.=A0 One aspect th=
at I found interesting was that each "performer," with their back towards t=
he "audience," faced the statue of Kyochiku Zenji while blowing (Kyochiku Z=
enji was the founder of the Fuke sect).