Re: Will the real 'OU' please stand up.

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 09:12:12 PST

>From: "Stav Tapuch" <tapuch@hotmail.com>
>
>Everywhere I look there seems to be a different fingering position
>to produce an 'OU.' Could someone explain what purpose the various
>fingering position have?

What sound do you want? There are more than a couple of ways to
make a G#. Do you want it clear and strong? Use the Tozan method:
4 & 5 closed, 3 shaded. Want it fuzzier with a bit of a "cry" in
the tone? Use Zach's notion of "Kinko" style, only #3 open. Want
something in between? Use Kurahashi's method: 2, 4 & 5 closed,
lots of meri. Something with a lot of muraiki? 2, 4, 5 closed,
1 & 3 shaded.

>And what is the 'right' way?

>From the list, a while back:

   A great shakuhachi teacher once told me that, to play
   shakuhachi, one must learn to be comfortable with uncertainty.
   There is no good or bad sound, right or wrong way to
   play. Some notes, in particular, are very mysterious and
   are characterised by a high degree of uncertainty. They
   cannot be defined by scientific parameters such a pitch,
   but rather by feeling.

   Learn to accept the uncertainty of not knowing.

           - Andrew MacGregor

and learn to play lots of different Us.

bj

-