cracks on old bamboo

From: supakit bhuphaibool (icarus927@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 19:41:53 PST

Greetings,

I've heard that you can submerge a cracking flute in water to temporarily=
=20
stop or reverse the process. Does anyone know if this is true for all=20
bamboo? (besides madake)

I found a japanese traverse flute that has probably been left in storage =
for=20
decades. It has several cracks in it.
Eventhough it probably can't be restored to playability, I was wondering =
if=20
the soak-in-water method would close most of the holes long enough for th=
e=20
bamboo to be bound. If so, will this be harmful to the bamboo in anyway?=20
(I'm only wondering because the darn thing looks so old)

Thanks for you help,

Duke.