Re: Seritsukan & Seisunkan ??

From: HeirPhoto@aol.com
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 22:25:36 PST

--part1_fe.14d3e115.29bc5660_boundary

In a message dated 3/9/02 11:06:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
casanosteven@hotmail.com writes:

> I would recommend the following books:
>

> Blasdel, Christopher Yohmei. The Shakuhachi: A manual for learning. Tokyo:
> Ongaku no tomo sha Corp, 1988. Good translation of historical information
> written by Kamisangou and also some introductory information on basic
> shakuhachi blowing techniques and Kinko style notation.

Steve,
Thanks. The Blasdel book was already one I was considering but the Riley book
looks interesting too. I really am not a "purist", and don't expect to study
rigid playing techniques aand learn notation but do enjoy reading about the
technical and historical aspects. For me the Shakuhachi is purely a
relaxation tool and an instrument that lets me simply explore wherever the
practice takes me each evening when I play.

I have been making a few instruments and enjoy experimenting with bores and
tuning to see what results each change makes.

Oddly the complex Uilleann pipes I used to practice never challenged me to
learn as much as this simple bamboo stick has. Simplification in music as
well as daily activity has truly improved my life.

Best,
Tony
         Anthony D. Miller & Co.
         ~ The Tintype Artist ~
      Ambrotypes & Ferrotypes
            34 Perryfalls Place
     Baltimore, Maryland 21236
                  410-256-7442
http://members.aol.com/likenesses

--part1_fe.14d3e115.29bc5660_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 3/9/02 11:06:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, casanosteven@hotmail.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I would recommend the following books:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Blasdel, Christopher Yohmei. <I>The Shakuhachi: A manual for learning</I>. Tokyo: Ongaku no tomo sha Corp, 1988.&nbsp; Good translation of historical information written by Kamisangou and also some introductory information on basic shakuhachi blowing techniques and Kinko style notation.<BR>
<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Steve,<BR>
Thanks. The Blasdel book was already one I was considering but the Riley book looks interesting too. I really am not a "purist", and don't expect to study rigid playing techniques aand learn notation but do enjoy reading about the technical and historical aspects. For me the Shakuhachi is purely a relaxation tool and an instrument that lets me simply explore wherever the practice takes me each evening when I play.<BR>
<BR>
I have been making a few instruments and enjoy experimenting with bores and tuning to see what results each change makes.<BR>
<BR>
Oddly the complex Uilleann pipes I used to practice never challenged me to learn as much as this simple bamboo stick has. Simplification in music as well as daily activity has truly improved my life.<BR>
<BR>
Best,<BR>
Tony <BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR="#800000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Bliss" LANG="0">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Anthony D. Miller &amp; Co.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ~ The Tintype Artist ~<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Ambrotypes &amp; Ferrotypes<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 34 Perryfalls Place<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Baltimore, Maryland 21236<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 410-256-7442<BR>