Re: Mouthpieces

From: Nelson Zink (zink@newmex.com)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 15:51:41 PST

Peter,

> I haven't tried it
> yet because I was concerned about toxic fumes coming off the pvc when
> heated. What do you know about this?

If you don't overheat (turns brown) there shouldn't be much of a problem. In
boiling water (at my altitude, around 200 degrees) PVC starts to deform.
That's why it isn't used for hot water plumbing.

> Also, I've been unable to find a non toxic way to color the white pvc.
> Left white they get very dirty looking.

I don't know of another cleaner that isn't a lot worse than acetone. As for
coloring, use a water-based emulsion paint or aniline dyes (alcohol soluble)
dissolved in acetone. These dyes are standard at woodworker supply for
staining wood--a lot of nice browns.

'Toxic' means different things to different people. If you're particularly
sensitive and/or concerned then it's probably best to avoid both heating PVC
and acetone.

Nelson