Re: Mouthpieces

From: markm@naropa.edu
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 20:54:26 PST

Re the toxicity issue, R. Carlos Nakai, the Native American
flutist, uses ABS pipe rather than PVC. He says it's less toxic (in
fact, he says he would never make a flute out of PVC).

Re sore shoulders, you could look into getting a curved
headjoint for the Bohem flute. I have one on my alto flute and
it's a great improvement.

Mark Miller

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 13:20:03 -0800 Peter Ross wrote:

> Hi Nelson,
>
> I make pvc shakuhachi. I don't mind the coupling mouthpiece.
It's the
> best way to have a thick or normal size chin rest. I find that
more
> appealing than a thin walled flute. But, that's just me. I was
told of a
> method similar to your's by a Japanese maker last year. I
haven't
> tried it
> yet because I was concerned about toxic fumes coming off the
pvc when
> heated. What do you know about this?
>
> Also, I've been unable to find a non toxic way to color the white
pvc.
> Left white they get very dirty looking.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Peter
>
> Nelson Zink wrote:
>
> > To all,
> >
> > One of the unappealing things about PVC shaks is the
standard coupling
> > mouthpiece. At http://www.navaching.com/shaku/mouth.html
I've offered an
> > illustrated set of instructions for constructing an Integral
Shak
> > Mouthpiece.
> >
> > Also removable mouthpieces for both shakuhachi and
didgeridu.

> > Nelson Zink
>
> -- Peter Ross
> http://www.cloudhandsmusic.com
> 206-587-7262
> 206-364-2341 FAX

This message sent using EMUmail -- http://www.emumail.com

Jumping through hoops to get E-mail on the road?
You've got two choices: Join the circus, or use MollyMail.

Molly Mail -- http://www.mollymail.com