Reproductions

From: Tom (tom-tom@gaea.ocn.ne.jp)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 22:32:15 PST

Nelson, Here it looks and feels like warmer weather coming along. But it
will be cold again for sure before berry harvest. Pruning and clean up all
done and 2 year old plants moved to larger pots. Things are happening but
not so much with shakuhachi since the tooth affair isn't completely healed
yet. Sore jaw after about 1-1/2 hours of playing flute. Slowing me down
which is fine for this time of year when it's nice to get out of the house
again. Yet needing to get back up to snuff with playing so that's the
immediate goal. Dentist said normal feeling and so on may not return for a
few months (if at all...wonder

The shakuhachi with cast resin bores which were formerly made here had a
maximum consumer price of up to 150,000 yen. A completely resin shakuhachi
probably wouldn't sell well, if at all, if it cost so much.

Your previous letter mentioned something about a dealer price being 50% of
the price of the original. This means at least 100,000 yen given a price of
the original at 200,000 yen. More realistic is an original price of 400,000
yen or 200,000 yen for the reproduction. No one will pay that much no
matter how good the flute is because of the material of construction.

Is all this correct?

The curriculum for lower schools has been revised to include more on
Japanese music, but I'm not exactly sure when changes begin, this April or
next or the one after that. Means that lots of schools may need cheap good
quality shakuhachi.

On the other hand, I'm still undecided about getting into cast flutes again,
in any connection. You could say sitting on the fence not leaning one way
or the other. There is still the problem of a suitable flute as the
original.

Tom