Re: mouthpieces

From: Peter Ross (peteross@cloudhandsmusic.com)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 10:38:18 PST

Hi Phillip,

John Neptune has been fitting bamboo shakuhachi mouthpieces on silver
flutes for years. He did one on a C silver flute for a student of
mine. You need to waste a head joint. It something I wondered about
for a long time. When I tried it however I found it awkward to play and
didn't really care for the sound. I think it's best to play shakuhachi
and silver flute. The combination is not an improvement to my ears.

Peter

Philip Gelb wrote:

> > > Still, I would like to see a shakuhachi headjoint for boehm
> >flute, if only to
> >> avoid sore shoulders from holding the thing sideways !
>
> Jim Schleffer was in the bay area this weekend and gave a fine
> performance on friday and afterwards over a beer mentioned something
> about fitting a shakuhachi mouthpiece onto a silver flute to play
> Crumb's "Vox Balinae" (great piece, by the way!!). Perhaps he can
> elaborate more on this mouthpiece.
>
> phil
> --
> Philip Gelb
> phil@philipgelb.com
> http://www.philipgelb.com
> upcoming concerts
> March 15 Sanfrancisco Wind Trio of Alphaville at New Langton Arts
> March 19 solo Atlanta at Eyedrum
> March 22 solo Gainesville, FL @ Theater of Memory
> March 24 solo and duet with John Butcher Orlando, FL @ house concert

-- Peter Ross