Re: Advice

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 12:30:26 PST

Urushi is made from a variety of the sumac plant. If you're
sensitive to poison sumac, you will have problems with this stuff.

I'm so sensitive to urushi that it usually takes more than 18 months
before I can play a freshly lacquered bore without suffering that
little half-moon rash.

Things to do:

1. Get some soap made for washing off poison ivy/sumac/oak and wash
the bore of the shak at the uta-guchi before playing. I get mine at
REI. Use it also to wash your face and hands afterwards.

2. Go see your healthcare provider (if you have one) and they can
prescribe some steriod cream that will clear up the rash. Use it
after playing and washing.

Be patient :-)

bj

p.s. note that the more times you expose yourself to the
rash-inducing substance, the more sensitive you become to it.

-