Re: Shakuhachi 101

From: supakit bhuphaibool (icarus927@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 02:53:13 PST

Great idea, Nelson!

Has anyone ever use the wiki software?
http://wiki.org/

It's a great documentation application that lets anyone add or edit its
pages. This way, anyone of us can add/edit data as we come across them so
we'd only need someone to maintain the software/site (instead of having the
responsibility to maintain the site _and_ add/edit/delete data as well).
Simple & fun to use.

This brings up a related topic:
Does anyone know of resources in English that expands on shakuhachi maker's
names? When I see a flute listing that's made by _x_, I know nothing of it
other than the physical appearance (if a photo is available). I understand
that flute makers tend to have consistent characteristics (x flutes tends to
be really bright, etc. and y flutes are such and such). The maker's history
and working years are also a mystery.

I understand that not all flute will possess a certain quality the maker is
known for, but am I mistaken to think that these characteristics exist?

If these assumptions are true, would we be breaking any unspoken
rule/tradition to record this in a community documentation if one doesn't
already exist?

Example:
Maker's name (year - year)
Teacher(s)
Flute Characteristics
Working Years (year - year)
Specialty (ex.: specialized in 2.4s, etc.)
Comments
Known Flutes
etc.

I realize that komuso.com has some form of a bio, but they are mainly of
players and not makers. I think this would be valuable data for the
community.

Duke.